The Disneyland Inaugural 10k & Half Marathon – Dumbo Double Dare Challenge

What was the main reason for heading to Cali to visit Disneyland? The Dumbo Double Dare race challenge, of course!

For those of you unfamiliar with the nomenclature, this race series a challenge to do the Inaugural Disneyland 10k Saturday 8/31 and then the Disneyland Half Marathon immediately following on Saturday 9/1! Sine my marathon training was going on with recovery weeks around this time frame, it seemed to fit in perfectly 😉

Saturday kicked off with the Disneyland 10k – this was also hub’s first longest race in 2 years since his ankle injury! He signed up when I signed up for Dumbo, knowing he had the time from February until now to train safely. Even though he didn’t need to be, he was pretty nervous about this run – we had him train up to 5.5 miles as his longest run. Nevertheless, I knew he’s do awesome!

Staying on the Disneyland Resort is WAY different than staying on the Walt Disney World resort for so many reasons. The main reason, when doing a Run Disney event, is the distance you are from the start line. No 230am wake up call here, we were able to wake up at 430am to be at the start corral area (15 minutes from our hotel room) and ready for the 615 10k start!

Before the race, we bumped into Melissa & then Brian and Lisa! ( I got to see my twin again during the race, Melissa)

The course was an easy 6.2 mile route around the main strip of Disneyland Drive and then into Disney California Adventure, Disneyland, and then Downtown Disney to finish. No hills or inclines at all, just lots of fun schtuff to look ooh and aw at!

After coming into Carsland and then heading into Paradise Pier, we headed towards the halfway point taking is into Disneyland!

We stopped for just about every photo opportunity! G (Hubs) even said “Now, I know why you love to Run Disney!” Whoa! That’s the spirit, hubby! Usually a solemn runner, who doesn’t talk much unless I need him to help me through a tough moment, he wore a smile from ear to ear looking at all of the characters and happy fellow runners.

At the finish, we grabbed our 10k bling and even ran into Mr. Jeff Galloway, master behind the Walk/Run method.

Since we didn’t plan to do the parks until Sunday, I was able to rest my legs quite a bit after the run Saturday to prepare for Sunday’s half marathon!

Sleeping in until around 4 for this race, I made my way back to the same start area as the 10k the day before. I didn’t see anyone I knew until I made my way into the start of the race – Carissa cheered me on as I began my trek down Disneyland Drive – always a fun way to kick off a race!

I knew for this race that I wanted to enjoy myself and take LOTS of photos! I didn’t know when I’d ever be able to enjoy the 2nd leg of a Run Disney Coast-to-Coast series! Since I was Mike Wazowski, from Monsters Inc, I made sure to stop and see him and Sully with the Monsters University crew. I was also SO happy to see the WHOLE gang from Aladdin!

(I’ll be doing a separate post on my race costumes 😉

When I was in the line to take a photo with the Storm troopers, I ran into Brian again
 and we ended up running the remainder of the race together. We kept each other company and enjoyed the craziness that IS ONLY a Run Disney race and the miles went by pretty fast! Most of miles 4-13 were outside of the park. We ran through the city of Anaheim and past the Honda Center. I was excited to run through the Ahaheim Angels’ Stadium too

KACHOW! Done!

Confetti and cheers pushed us into the finish and we also ran into the Sparkle Athletic girls! (I’ll be doing a separate post on my race outfits that they helped me put together!)

I have to say that this half marathon is up there as my FAVORITE! #7 was SO much fun and I just took my time between photo stops. Coming back from the Neuroma injury and some time off, I had no reason to push for any PR action or crazy finish time – I wanted to savor every moment and smile as I ran happy!

And RUN HAPPY I DID!

The bling was awesome – G was even surprised at how cool his 10k medal was!

Tally for the weekend? 4 MEDALS

Coast-to-Coast for finishing the Disneyland Half and Walt Disney World half this year, the 10k medal, the Disneyland Half medal, & Dumbo Double Dare bling for doing both races back to back for the Inaugural year!

Spending a week in California at the Disneyland resort was a BLAST and these races were just the start!

Here’s the posts I’ve done so far:

Have you done Run Disney’s Coast-to-Coast challenge?
How far have you traveled to do a race?

September 10, 2013, 12:32 pm

LOVE all the pictures girl! Can’t wait to hear all about your costumes…they were sooo cute! I’m thinking about Mike for Marathon weekend…we will see!

September 10, 2013, 12:35 pm

yay! great job. After doing coast to coast last year I knew we had to do it again. so fun! Great seeing you!

September 10, 2013, 12:41 pm

I loved both of the races 🙂 Congrats to your hubby!

September 10, 2013, 1:18 pm

I loooooove your Mike Wazowski outfit! It’s so cute and perfectly you! I hope I can do this kind of race some time in the future. I’m a huge Disney fan too. I’ll be at Disney World in just about 2.5 weeks now!

September 10, 2013, 2:56 pm

Thanks Samantha! Enjoy it and bring an empty water bottle for water! 😉

September 10, 2013, 2:13 pm

I have not done the coast to coast races yet, but they seem like so much fun. The furthest I’ve traveled to do a race is probably Clearwater or Orlando. I loved your outfits by the way. So glad your hubs got to join you in the fun!

September 10, 2013, 2:14 pm

Awesome pics, love the costumes. Congrats to you and the hubs, great accomplishment. I want to do Goofy’s Challenge one day, maybe this one too now!

September 10, 2013, 2:38 pm

That looks like tons of fun Kat!! When I make it out to Cali I’m def going to do these races. Great post!! 🙂

Train Healthy Be Wealthy

September 10, 2013, 2:53 pm

I’m loving all these recaps! Wish I could have gone. So fun!! congrats – looks like you had a great time.

September 10, 2013, 2:59 pm

I really do love the 10k medal, a lot more than I thought I would (probably second favorite overall after Tink, ’cause she spins). But the 10k pin, my favorite race pin yet.

September 10, 2013, 3:55 pm

Looks like you guys had a blast! And very proud of you both for playing it safe.

September 10, 2013, 4:59 pm

OMFG! Some of those costumed people are FREAKING ME OUT!!!!!! Like the dudes from Alice in Wonderland!

September 10, 2013, 5:20 pm

Congrats x4! What a blast and you looked adorable! Hmmmmm furthest race? CA I guess.

September 10, 2013, 5:21 pm

Sounds like you your husband had an awesome weekend of racing. Love your pics and your recap really brings out the “fun” that is a Disney race.

September 10, 2013, 5:48 pm

Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! Love the costumes too! I have yet to do a Disney race……but one day I want to! I guess the farthest I have traveled for a race is Perth, Australia (I live in the NYC area so that was pretty far).

September 10, 2013, 6:17 pm

WEEE Sparkles! Confetti! Pizazz! Way to go girlie!
    I adore all of the outfits! Sparkly run skirts for the win!

September 10, 2013, 6:33 pm

Great Job Kat & Gary!! Love all the pictures! Looks like you guys had such a great time!

September 10, 2013, 7:32 pm

It is fun reading everyone’s recaps and reliving the race with a different twist. I love the Disney west coast races and especially being able to walk to the parks. What a great weekend!

September 10, 2013, 7:34 pm

You have so many great photos! Congrats! And it was great running into you and Brian too!

September 10, 2013, 8:23 pm

So glad you enjoyed yourself! Love the costumes!

September 10, 2013, 8:27 pm

LOVE!! I only wish I had been there to watch & meet! 🙂

September 11, 2013, 12:31 am

It looks like you had so much fun Im jealous!!

September 11, 2013, 1:23 am

It looks like so much fun. I think I may have to do the coast to coast next year. It’ll give me a great excuse to visit Disneyland!

September 14, 2013, 6:45 pm

Congrats on this accomplishment!! And you really should buy that picture of you and Gary. It’s so cute!