On deck for 2014 – My 1 Word for Goals & Limited Racecations

Bye-Bye 2013!

2014, I feel, will only be a continuation of the growth I’ve been experiencing in life! Not only is it an EVEN number (i.e. I HATE odd numbers – superstitious much?!) BUT it’s also a year I take it a bit easier from running race after race and focus on balancing everything going on in life (family, friends, work, IT ALL) even more so.

We’ll call 2014 the YEAR OF PURPOSE

Why PURPOSE?

We can all get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life. Whether it be forming tunnel vision and strictly targeting work, or family, or running, whatever – getting caught up in one part of life and not necessarily putting it all together. I’m guilty of it – I tend to get overwhelmed with new responsibilities but then once I get used to a routine, the dust settles. I’ve also learned that what we do in life – again whether it be family, work, etc. – should have PURPOSE. It’s taken me time to understand what that means over the years, but it’s becoming more and more clear as I work more with others on their fitness journies or coach others with workout plans – SERVING OTHERS and not focusing strictly on just US helps us grow OURSELVES.

What’s ON DECK for the YEAR of PURPOSE?

Important Dates/Trips:
January 11 – Walt Disney World Half Marathon
February 1 – Best Damn Race 10k
February 27 – March 2 – IDEA Personal Trainer Institute – East
March 15-19 – Chicago to visit Shannyn
April 13 – Austin’s 10/20 Race
May – Celebrate 2nd Anniversary
June 26-29 – Fitbloggin 2014
August 2-9 – OBX Family vacation

BELIEVE and you WILL achieve!!

Goals for 2014:
* Increase skills to help personal training clients (i.e. TRX Rip and more classes February at IDEAFIT PTI)
* Teach another fitness class on top of Insanity (funny that this JUST happened to be a draft I wrote and then I was offered to team Basic Training on Monday nights at my gym!! HAPPY DANCE)
* Balance strength training/healthy eating/running into a weekly regimen more regularly (i.e. planned meals)
* Conduct monthly or bimonthly 21/30 Day Challenges as a Fitness Coach
* Try to pay it forward more (i.e. $1s left on dollar store items or paying for a stranger)
* Volunteer for the holidays Thanksgiving or Christmas
* Remember: Love – Give Mercy – Be humble (F3 Further Faster Forever baby!) daily!
* Enjoy traveling for experiences aside from just running
* Be more spontaneous with weekends and trip planning – let hubby take control every so often (OCD much?)
* End of the year: Train harder to prepare for 2015 SPRING Marathon

Not AS much RACECATIONING but still some in there – I mean, I can NEVER sit still! Also, some MORE time for reflection and living in the MOMENT to focus on what’s most important and ensure I’m living with PURPOSE!

OTHERS will drive what I do each and EVERY day!

But, How will I stay ACCOUNTABLE for these goals?

Welp, I write them here to share with you all and that FOR SURE makes me want to stay focused and not veer from them! I’ll also be checking in every month or so with updates!

How are you staying focused on 2014 goals?
How do you feel you live with purpose?

What’s your WORD for goal focus in 2014? tell me! I want to do a roll up of these in a future post!

January 2, 2014, 12:18 pm

I like the idea of calling 2014 the year of purpose. Goals are wonderful and so are New Year’s resolutions but only if your brain is geared that way. I only make small goals for myself or rather few goals and try to keep those in perspective too, Paying it forward and volunteering are part of my 2014 plans.

January 2, 2014, 12:28 pm

The year of purpose–what a great sentiment! I have a feeling this year will be all about finding balance for me too. Last year, I jumped into triathlon and threw myself into training–and had so much fun! However, my social life (in terms of non-triathlete friends and parties) really took a backseat. This year, making time for non-triathlon things will be more a priority.

January 2, 2014, 12:42 pm

i’m trying to get my dad to do the austin race!! how fun would that be?!

January 2, 2014, 12:42 pm

I don’t think we can find a word to beat the Year of Purpose no matter what individual goals we have!

January 2, 2014, 1:02 pm

My word of the year is CAN, as in dammit YES I CAN!

January 2, 2014, 1:04 pm

that was my word for 2013 and it served me really well!

January 2, 2014, 1:04 pm

You’ll be in Chicago in March?! So jealous!

January 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

What a great word choice for your goals! PURPOSE seems to fit them perfectly! My goals for 2014 will center on DETERMINATION. I am DETERMINED to complete 14 races of all different distances and I will purposely choose races that keep me focused and DETERMINED to strengthen my abilities as an athlete.

January 2, 2014, 1:45 pm

You have a good list here. Purpose is a good goal for you, and it seems your strong start in 2013 with all your big plans will keep pushing you into 2014. My word is going to have to be balance. It’s going to be a hard year with all the training I’ll have to do, but if I can maintain a life balance, I know I’ll be successful in my endeavors this year.

January 2, 2014, 1:50 pm

I love this! The year of purpose! My word for the year is Believe! Believe that I can do it…and I will! πŸ™‚

January 2, 2014, 2:02 pm

My word is Faith πŸ™‚

January 2, 2014, 2:42 pm

Awesome! My word will be IMPROVEMENT. Everything I do will be towards bettering myself and my life in 2014. Have a great one!

January 2, 2014, 2:49 pm

My word is BE. It allows me to live in the moment, but also serves as a driving force. I don’t want to try, hope, wish, wait. I want to be. Wrote a longer explanation in my blog post today (http://wp.me/p1FBZS-1wX).

January 2, 2014, 3:29 pm

My word is amazement!

January 2, 2014, 3:54 pm

Inquiring minds want to know which marathon you have your eye on in 2015?! Happy New Year!!!

January 2, 2014, 4:08 pm

My word would be focused. I need to focus on getting healthy first as I think that will lead to all my other goals.

January 2, 2014, 4:38 pm

I love this – your year of purpose. You had an amazing year last year and I can’t wait to see what 2014 has in store!

January 2, 2014, 5:07 pm

Consistent/Consistency. Majority of my 2014 goals can be accomplished simply by being more consistent in all aspects of my life.

January 2, 2014, 5:23 pm

My word for 2014 is balance! I tend to neglect some things for others and mess everything up.

January 2, 2014, 6:00 pm

I love this! Purpose is just perfect…and I’ve loved reading all the bloggers’ goals for 2014 and think that posting them is a huge way to keep yourself accountable…you have a bunch of women all over supporting you! My word for 2014 is Commit. πŸ™‚

January 2, 2014, 7:40 pm

Everyone was put on this earth for a purpose!!!!!! That’s what helps me get up every morning! I KNOW I HAVE A REASON! πŸ˜€ And so do you!!!!!!!

January 2, 2014, 7:42 pm

These are awesome goals, best of luck with everything! I was bit by the running bug HARD last year and I, too, ran a lot of race-cations in 2013…and while I do have some coming up this year — Dopey, for one! — I also plan to focus on some of my other non-running goals and striking a better balance in all facets of my life.

January 3, 2014, 1:16 am

Love your word & all you have planned!!!! I don’t set resolutions anymore & goals, I keep private in my old age.. I don’t want any stress any more. πŸ˜‰ I will be following! πŸ™‚

January 3, 2014, 2:24 am

I love that, Year of Purpose. Love how far you’ve come and how motivating you are! I feel so fortunate to know you. πŸ™‚

My plans for 2014 are a number of races, but half marathons or less distance-wise (unless I get into NYC) and to get more toned up. I want to lose about 5lbs, so that’s definitely first up along with getting my CT stuff more regular. I tend to focus so much on running since I love it so much.

January 3, 2014, 3:48 am

Love it! I’m focusing on one day at a time. Since I’m going to be a new mom, I wanted to focus on enjoying each moment to the fullest! πŸ™‚

January 3, 2014, 7:54 am

Love how specific your goals are. I’ll miss you not being on the Ragnar SoCal team but I can’t wait to see you at FitBloggin’! Happy 2014! Loving the Year of Purpose – good title. Also, I like 2014 too (but I am born on 2/14 so…)

January 3, 2014, 8:27 pm

Loves of amazing races and great goals! I think 2014 is going to be an amazing year for you!

January 4, 2014, 4:57 am

Amazing goals ma’am! And so exciting for another class! I’ll be visiting for some Insanity soon!