A Weekend at IDEAFit’s Personal Trainers Institute

I was able to take advantage of traveling to Alexandria Virginia this past weekend for IDEAFIT’s Personal Trainer’s Institute [East] conference! As an IDEAFIT Blogger, I’ve always enjoyed using IDEAFIT as a resource for all things training and fitness in order to increase my knowledge and skills as a trainer – so having a conference include live events, training, and workouts could only UP the ANTE!
My main goal was to take advantage of sessions that would help me in my training world with experience to assist clients as well as learn more exercises and tips with TRX to apply to classes too!

I was able to see a lot of vendors including Reebok, IDEAFIT themselves, LTS Fitness, Dynamax medicine balls, and more at the Sponsor Marketplace. They shared training tips, tools, equipment, and connections throughout the weekend.
TRX was the area I had my eyes focused on the most. I use the Suspension trainer and RIP Trainer with clients and was ready to increase my knowledge of those tools. Why not learn form from the Head of Training and Development himself, Fraser Quelch??
Here are some of my [not necessarily TRX -related] takeaways from those sessions – aside from awesome soreness in all of my muscles:

This is just a SMIDGE of what I took away from all 3 TRX sessions as I was trying to focus on learning the movements simultaneously:

Obesity is a bigger problem and killer than famine in our world – crazy right?!

Obesity is lifestyle indicator or from heredity not genetics

Focus on BODY TRANSFORMATION not WEIGHT LOSSTwo parents obese means 80% chance of child being obese, 1 means the child is 50% likely

We’ve been spending more on healthcare than in the school system

Do MMA fighters, ballet dancers, gymnasts lift weights not really they use their own weightGravity triggers the core muscles vs text book descriptions of muscle functions

Yes, a lot of this is Personal Trainer lingo – AND I DO plan on doing some elaboration on many other topics discussed topics such as EPOC and body fat 😉

The same day I did TRX Body Transformation as well as Advanced Core Training I also saw that I signed up for the Dynamax Boot Camp Revolution class – OOPS. Oh well, bring on the pain!

We went through some movements using the 6 lb Dynamax Medicine Ball – which I learned is so much more effective because you’re holding the ball shoulder width apart! I buddied up with another trainer who I had fun throwing this bad boy around with! We took away some Tabata drills and other functional movements to use with gym goers and clients.
Another helpful session I attended focused on Nutrition for Improved Performance by Sr. Fitness Educator, Fabio Comana from NASM [National Academy of Sports Medicine – who I used for my certification!) – woot woot!
Here are some of my biggest session takeaways from the Nutrition review (for Improved Performance, meaning it was targetted at athletic performance and endurance sports with other educational pieces sprinked in, this session was WAY too short, we were learning so much!)

Divide your weight in half, that’s [in oz.] the lowest amount of water your body needs a day

Pre-workout and post-workout weight is important to replenish electrolytes AND water

Electrolyes AND water is mostly key when performing bouts of movement 90+ minutes

Carb loading isn’t necessarily needed pre-workout for anything under 90 minutes

Breakfast = BREAK the FAST! So working out on an empty stomach in the morning can lead to burnout

Protein quality varies incredibly- you PAY for the quality you GET

Aside from the OODLES of KNOWLEDGE I gained from this conference, I walked away having made many new connections with people who were not only fitness pros but also inspirations themselves. Many people I met had stories like mine – they came from being overweight to now working in a field where they help others prevent that cycle. AMAZING!

I was able to give my testimonial to the IDEAFIT folks and hope that it makes their reel!

Have you been to an IDEAFIT Conference yet?
What areas would you look to gain more knowledge on at a fitness conference?

March 5, 2014, 12:32 pm

Wow, that sounds so fascinating! I love the emphasis on changing the body, not the scale. And great nutrition tips, too. How fun!

March 5, 2014, 12:45 pm

Wow, what fun! I wish I could go to a conference (for anything)! I’ve never been!

March 5, 2014, 1:40 pm

Great takeaways! I think I’m good on the water… I may float away! 😉

March 5, 2014, 1:51 pm

Wow Kat! Looks like you learned a ton and had lots of fun!

March 5, 2014, 1:55 pm

That would be such an awesome conference! Love the takeaways. And I always try to reiterate to my clients to stop focussing on the number on the scale, but rather fat loss and how their bodies are changing.

March 5, 2014, 5:01 pm

Interesting statistics about obesity versus world hunger….shocking actually. It sounds as though you and your clients will benefit greatly from your conference classes, especially the TRX. Tom tried TRX recently and his arms were so sore the next day he has not been back! LOL

March 5, 2014, 5:54 pm

Awesome takeaways. It looks like you learned a lot of great info. I need to work on working out on an empty stomach during the week.

March 6, 2014, 2:24 am

I do too! I have been trying even a small handful of trail mix

March 5, 2014, 7:58 pm

That sounds like a ton of fun. I would love to go to a conference like this someday!

March 5, 2014, 8:40 pm

It looks like you had an amazing time! The statistics you listed were really interesting. Although I’m not an instructor, I think a fitness conference would be incredible. I would love to learn more about running, clean eating, and how to make better choices especially with little ones in the home. Thanks for sharing your weekend!
    ~Bre

March 6, 2014, 12:16 am

EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 Love learning new stuff!

March 6, 2014, 12:22 am

Sounds like an awesome resource for trainers.

March 6, 2014, 12:24 am

I absolutely LOVE my dynamax ball! Had it over 5 years and use it almost every single day on myself and with patients.

March 6, 2014, 2:24 am

Yes! I carry it around and even named it lol

March 6, 2014, 1:39 am

Great recap- I wanted to go, but it wasn’t in the budget. It looks like it was very informative and fun!

March 6, 2014, 2:25 am

Shared a bit with ya so there ya go girlie!

March 6, 2014, 4:14 am

I think I am going to IDEA FIT in Los Angeles in August, yes, I do believe so! And I THINK I might actually be TALKING – say, WHAT!?!??!! Ha! This post only made me more excited, I flipping LOVE conferences!

March 6, 2014, 2:30 pm

Looks fun! No I have only been to blogger conferences!

March 6, 2014, 11:46 pm

Looks like a fabulous time, I would love to attend something like that. I love Dynamax balls, I seriously think you can do so much with them and they are more effective than med balls for certain exercises.

March 7, 2014, 1:26 am

Sounds like you learned a lot. I was a little confused about your comments about spending more on healthcare than in the school systems. What parts of healthcare are you referring to? People going to gyms or people going to the doctor? I was also wondering how the information was presented in a sense of whether this is a bad or good thing.

March 7, 2014, 9:51 am

That looks like a great conference! There’s a huge running shoe/technology conference that takes place every year for folks who work in the industry, and I’d love to go to something like that. One day, hopefully!

October 8, 2014, 11:32 am

Hello Kat,
    I just came across your page and saw this post. Sounds like you had a fabulous time! I truly need to take the time to attend a conference soon. I really wanted to attend this one. I as well love implementing the TRX Suspension System and medicine ball with my clients. Great take-home message from each session!
    Joshua recently posted…Exercising while TravelingMy Profile

October 8, 2014, 5:03 pm

Thanks for stopping by Joshia!IDEAFIT is an amazing experience