The Healthy Side of Indulgence?

Most Tampa locals know of Datz [a trendy and popular restaurant in the South Tampa area off of Bay to Bay and Madill] as a PLACE OF INDULGENCE.
For sure, that is definitely the case – you come here to experience TONS of bacon, beer options, ALL of the best desserts. BUT – what a LOT of people don’t know is that you can ALSO experience the Healthy Side of Datz! Whenever eating out, I try to also find out the healthier options available so that every time we enjoy a meal out it doesn’t have to be overload!

Megan and I were given the opportunity to sample healthy options at Datz while also catching up on her recent wedding planning and what we both have going on in general!

Keeping with the theme of “it’s a girls’ night out” we did try out some of Datz’s SKINNY cocktails! I tried the White Cosmo which was 140 calories and included voli lite vodka, St Germain elderflower liqueur, white cranberry juice, & lime.

Megan tried out the Spa – ahh Water which had bluecoat gin, fresh lemon juice, cucumber, & mr. q cumber soda.

We shared their Sriracha popcorn and then dived into dinner! I had a salad called “lettuce entertain you” which had field greens, grilled chicken, smoked Gouda, seasonal berries, cherry tomatoes, candied walnuts and berry vinaigrette – I switched the dressing to only red wine vinegar and added hard boiled eggs.
Megan had the “banh mi tacos” which included house-braised short ribs, pickled daikon, carrot, cucumber, sweet-n-spicy Asian bbq sauce with cilantro lime rice and grilled Mexican sweet corn.

We both enjoyed our experience with some of the healthier options at Datz. They also have fresh veggies, corn tortillas, and quinoa as side options – most people just aren’t aware of that!
Tips for finding the Healthy Side of Indulgence when dining out:
* ASK you can never get in trouble for asking your server what other options are available NOT on the menu
* Substitute veggies for sides like mac ‘n cheese or mashed potatoes
* Ask for no butter and light salt
* Ask for a box right away and put 1/2 of your meal to-go so you don’t eat a larger portion than intended!
* Ask for balsamic vinegar or another vinegar or mustard in place of sugary condiments and dressings
What do you look for in a restaurant when making food choices?
What ways do you sneak in healthy habits when dining out?

March 31, 2014, 11:31 am

ooh interesting take on all this.
    we used to eat out a TON in TX so I paid more attention.
    now? not so much 🙂 so Im all about the mindful intuitive OK SO WHAT AM I CRAVING TONIGHT?

March 31, 2014, 1:46 pm

I agree girlie – it’s tough working two jobs sometimes but I know that eating out shouldn’t make me make bad decisions – ATX is the HOME for eating out!

March 31, 2014, 11:32 am

It’s so hard to dine at certain restaurants without going overboard/over indulging. I like to have my salad dressing on the side and like you, I practically always take half my meal home! We skip dessert 95% of the time too which helps alot!

March 31, 2014, 11:36 am

i eat healthy most of the time… both dining in or out…. if i feel like eating something that’s not traditionally “healthy” i don’t stress about it because i know i don’t eat it all the time… itz all about balance and moderation! 🙂 🙂

March 31, 2014, 1:47 pm

Exactly – it’s tough to keep that focus!

March 31, 2014, 11:58 am

After being a gluttonous piggie last week, I am going to be eating at home most of the week to make sure I know what I’m eating and how much. But I love the idea of asking for veggies as sides – I used to be better about doing that but I need to start that again. 🙂 -Christine

March 31, 2014, 1:48 pm

It’s all about accountability check ins girlie – Shoot after this weekend I am ON IT this week again, i fell off!

March 31, 2014, 12:23 pm

Great tips! I usually just make sure I am incorporating a vegetable (or many!) and a source of lean protein. I ask for sauces on the side, and choose lighter sauce/ dressing options like you said. And be sure I’m getting plenty of water!!

March 31, 2014, 1:48 pm

thanks Megan! water is another awesome tip, thanks!

March 31, 2014, 1:55 pm

I’ve been paying more attention to this lately. I always look for the grilled chicken options and veggies. Or a salad with light dressing on the side. I also only eat half the meal and drink lots of water.

March 31, 2014, 2:49 pm

Those are great tips. It never hurts to ask! and your salad sounds delicious!

March 31, 2014, 2:56 pm

That salad sounds delish! I don’t eat out a bunch, so when I do, I tend to indulge without guilt. But I usually don’t eat anything too rich or indulgent. Unless I’m at a fancy restaurant.

March 31, 2014, 3:18 pm

Great tips. I try to load up on veggies and do my best to skip the bread.

March 31, 2014, 4:15 pm

Datz is definitely one of my faves!

March 31, 2014, 4:50 pm

Looks delish. I usually always go for the healthier choices. I also ask questions especially if something is cooked with dairy.

March 31, 2014, 6:34 pm

We just got back from a week long holiday. Most days we ate out twice. My trick for reigning it in? Eat the same meals that I would at home! Always ask for veggies instead of starch. Dressing on the side. And either a glass of wine OR a few bites of dessert; never both in the same meal!

March 31, 2014, 9:21 pm

If I know where I am going, I try to look at the menu first and see what healthy items I would love to try, and I pick a few options. My issue with salads is that a lot of places fill them with high calorie items and sugary dressings.

March 31, 2014, 9:58 pm

Fish tacos are one of my go-to meals when eating out–as long as they aren’t fried!

March 31, 2014, 9:59 pm

Thanks for all the great tips, Kat! We rarely eat out anymore, but at out three times this past weekend, and I’m definitely feeling it today. Its so easy to overindulge when eating out, but I also know that I can watch it, I just have to make the conscious choice to.

April 1, 2014, 3:25 am

I honestly do not eat out that much. I look for places that might have things I like OR I sneak in food! 🙂

April 1, 2014, 11:30 am

I LOVE Datz and I have actually had that salad before. It is delish! I love that most restaurants have healthy options if you order correctly. I normally have a hard time ordering healthy at Datz though. 🙂

April 1, 2014, 12:16 pm

Datz is my favorite. I say to hell with it when I eat there. But eat in moderation. And always go for the bacon! 😉

April 1, 2014, 12:57 pm

That looks awesome! I do make a lot of substitutions when eating out. Especially when it comes to sides and dressings.

April 1, 2014, 2:26 pm

Fabulous ideas that I’ve used for years! When in doubt, just go for sushi instead 🙂 (NO cream cheese or tempura, though)

April 1, 2014, 3:42 pm

Great tips! I just eat in moderation. If it is not something I typically eat, I know it will balance out in the end.

April 1, 2014, 5:14 pm

Great tips to keeping it healthy when eating out. It’s great to know Datz has healthy and yummy options. Your skinny cocktails looked mouthwatering.

April 1, 2014, 5:30 pm

I always make my own meals when I am at restaurants. I survey menus to see what options they have and then sort of pick and choose from every menu item – LOL! Servers….. “loveee” me! ha ha! I especially love the servers who think they can remember orders and they don’t write it down, ha! They always get it wrong, hahahahaha! 😉

I am the nightmare customer!

April 3, 2014, 4:08 pm

That popcorn and those tacos look AMAZING!!