Weekly Workouts: Wk of 3/8 – Running Solo is underrated?

Moving my Sunday tradition to Fridays! Link up as I recap workouts for the week in a Weekly Workouts Roundup for this past week! It can be any day also!

Week of 3/8/2014
3/8 – 8 mile long run with hubby
3/9- 5k run + core work and upper body
3/10 – Taught and did Extreme Circuit training class (cardio/strength)
3/11 – 4 mile run
3/12 –  Taught and did Insanity
3/13 – 2.5 mile walk (gave blood this day)
Planned: 3/14 – 4 mile run + upper body
Total Miles: 22.1

I saw an awesome quote from Amanda this week on Instagram that stuck with me:
“One who runs alone cannot be out run.”

I have been enjoying my time with hubby but also time running solo in the middle of the week. At first it took some getting used to, but I’ve learned to monitor my breathing, cadence, gait, and feel all-around happier and more at peace when I run. Don’t get me wrong, I love the occasional catch up time with friends on a run, there’s no doubt about that. I wanted to become comfortable running solo and it’s been working in my favor thankfully!

It’s okay that it’s 75 degrees out in March!

Training’s been fun as I have a few fun runs coming up including the Electrodash (3/21) & the tbt* 3k Beer Dash (3/29) these next couple of weekends along with the Race for Sight (4/5) where I’ve set some fun goals- check these out if you’re local! I’ve discovered that quote definitely holds true. I say mantras in my head to make it to certain mile points. I focus on intervals and proper footing. I listen to how I am breathing and adjust when needed. Running solo has been an adjustment but one that’s helped me grow OUTSIDE of my comfort zone for sure!

It was also a bittersweet week this week –  I taught my last Wednesday night Insanity class. SAD PANDA. My guys weren’t too thrilled either but we made the most of it and had a BLAST! Round 4 plyometrics ensued and we’ll reconvene once the schedule gets adjusted!

Last week I talked about how to keep focused and fit ON THE ROAD – and this week we’re headed out of town AGAIN! This time we’re off together to see this lovely lady:

Shannyn and I have been long time ‘blends’ and were roomies at Fitbloggin ’13 too!

The plan? Bringing T25 and TurboFire WITH me along with resistance bands. Shannyn and I have also chatted about doing yoga together and possibly a run (if I don’t freeze – yes I have thin Floridian blood.)

Do you prefer to run solo or in a group? Why?

March 14, 2014, 11:06 am

i like a mix of running solo vs in a group… i will say, i LOVE running in a group for speed work – i am pushed way harder!

March 14, 2014, 11:28 am

I love solo runs during the week. It clears my head and gives me quiet time for myself. However I love racing with my friends. Social time;) have fun traveling. Don’t freeze. 😉

March 14, 2014, 11:44 am

I prefer running solo. I like the “me” time. Great job on your Insanity classes!

March 14, 2014, 12:37 pm

I prefer long runs with buddies, but alot of the time I am running solo just because of logistics. It was the best thing for me to join the coached group last fall. I look forward to those workouts every week and the people are amazing….keeps me very motivated!

March 14, 2014, 12:46 pm

I am definitely a solo runner. I actually mentioned in runchat last weekend that my preference is to be like Snow White… just me and nature. It’s calming, no pressure and gives me time to think.

March 14, 2014, 12:48 pm

I’ve gone back and forth with running solo or with someone. Initially I only ever ran with hubby. Then I finally was forced to run solo when he wasn’t running as often. I loved it. Absolutely cherished that time. But then I started running with a friend and kind of loved that too. I would run some mornings with her then some midday runs solo so I got the best of both worlds during the week. AND morning runs with someone feel so much safer. But she’s moved so now after almost 2 yrs I’m back to solo-ing it and re-adjusting. I sometimes dread it until I get out there and then I remember why I love that peaceful time alone.

March 14, 2014, 1:31 pm

That’s how I feel sometimes – that’s why I try to bounce between both so I appreciate both too!

March 14, 2014, 1:02 pm

Great job getting in those solo runs girl! I run solo a lot but I definitely prefer running with my friends! It’s therapy time for me! Have a blast this weekend!

March 14, 2014, 1:13 pm

I like both! I love the social aspect and quality time with friends when I run with a group, but running alone is meditative for me. Each has their own place! 🙂

March 14, 2014, 2:30 pm

I LOVE running solo. Its a great time to clear my head and just BE with myself. Its nice to focus on yourself and your health too. I am slow so when I am in a group always worried I am holding people back…which many friends have gladly slowed pace to socialize, and I am grateful, just LOVE solo running outside. I play it safe though.

March 14, 2014, 3:46 pm

I love running solo and with friends but 95% of the time I run solo. It’s my ‘me time’. I also believe that when it comes to race day, YOU are the one running and can’t count on others, so learning to push yourself is really important.

March 14, 2014, 4:45 pm

I love running solo. It’s my time to clear my head and focus on just the run. But I do enjoy the occasional group run

March 15, 2014, 8:21 am

Since my training started in January, I’ve logged nearly all of my runs with teammates. Sure, we don’t always run together, but there are always folks on the track with me or on the treadmill next to me. That’s a good balance because I’m holding my own pace, but there’s something to be said for solidarity.

March 15, 2014, 11:48 pm

Most of my runs are solo! It certainly is nice to be able to focus on how I need to run, but it’d be nice to have some company once in a while!

March 16, 2014, 11:04 pm

I like to mix it up. Friends push me, but my alone time lets me think.

March 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

I have always run alone (42 years of it)- as it’s ME time, de-stress time, and I don’t want to hear “blah blah blah” while I am running. I prefer birds and quiet.