Positivity is contagious – Be a Daymaker

To keep up with my goal of reading more and focusing on personal development, I was able to borrow this gem from a good friend of mine:

Daymaking is an area I needed to focus on. With the craziness of my life – while all good things are happening – it was easy for me to get absorbed into what I was focusing on  MYSELF instead of looking out for others near and dear to me to help make THEIR day!
The creator of the original Aveda salons, David Wagner helped begin a movement to inspire people to change the world by looking away from themselves and making someone else’s day.
In the book he talks a lot about how to look at your children, your jobs, your partners, and find ways to make their day through small gestures or even comments that could make their heart smile. I’ve talked about how my life recently has been much more positive and this is truly a way it continues to be!
So how could you make someone else’s day easily?
Here’s some ideas that I’ve used or want TO use that may give you inspiration!
* I saw this on Pinterest originally: for an anniversary I made hubby these little hearts out of different fabric and pillow stuffing. Instead of using them to remind each other we love one another, we actually use them to call a truce. If we have a disagreement, and one of us leaves one  the others’ pillow or purse or drawer, that’s our signal to hug it out.
* I stopped cutting coupons a long time ago, but still do it so that I can leave them in the store for others to use.
* Send random greeting cards – people love being surprised by snail mail! I’ve written a card or a letter to a friend or client, either local or long distance, just to let them know I’m thinking about them. Either a congratulations for a recent race or Happy Birthday or Thank you in general! We tend to use social media and/or our phones instead of pen to paper which means so much.
* If I ever make it into a Starbucks or other location like that [we never go much] I’d like to pay for the person behind me or give $5 to the cashier to do that.
* For a server who gave us a great experience, we’ve tipped the exact amount of our bill. We hope that made that server’s night! We’ve also written notes of thanks on our bills to servers and bartenders.
* For my team at work, I’ve gotten them breakfast to say thank you for a busy or crazy week in the office. I’ve also walked around with my treasure box [yes, with fun prizes!] to let them pick from it to say thank you.
I want to do so much more!
What ideas do YOU have to be a DAYMAKER!
What do you feel being a DAYMAKER does for the world?
Happy Memorial Day! Let’s use this day to make someone else’s day and remember those who have fought for our country.

May 26, 2014, 10:58 am

I love sending cards/notes in the mail to my friends and family. I love getting mail, so I hope it puts a smile on their faces 🙂

May 26, 2014, 11:51 am

This is so true, I sometimes forget about this, and end up way too stressed on the wrong things. It is not about being the perfect you, but about what you can do for others to make your life more meaningful. This seems like a great book, adding it to my list of summer reads 🙂

May 26, 2014, 2:15 pm

It’s hard to always remember for sure! When we do we can do amazing things!

May 26, 2014, 12:27 pm

This is my fave book to re-read when I need my positivity tank filled. Thanks for the great ideas Kat!

May 26, 2014, 1:18 pm

I sometimes bring in treats for my students randomly. Thanks for the reminder to do that again!

May 26, 2014, 2:25 pm

Thank you for introducing me to this book! I’ll have to check it out. I love the coupon cutting idea. That’s something my kids can help with too. Who doesn’t love finding a coupon for something they were going to buy anyway!!?

May 26, 2014, 2:56 pm

This is such a cool concept. I love the idea of refocusing on others instead of ourselves. I like making baked goods for my co-workers!

May 26, 2014, 3:15 pm

Oh I love this!!! I think just taking a small amount of time out of your day to make someone else’s day means so much! Just showing you care is amazing in a world that is so go go go all the time!

May 26, 2014, 5:56 pm

I love this idea!! I definitely think positivity is contagious!

May 26, 2014, 8:05 pm

Great ideas! It’s definitely so much fun to make someone’s day. I always have the intentions of doing things like the ones you suggested, but lately I’ve been more intentional about actually following through. It certainly puts a smile on my face, too!

May 26, 2014, 11:07 pm

These are all fabulous ideas.
    Love it.

May 27, 2014, 11:50 am

I love the fact that you don’t use coupons but still cut them to help others! That is an awesome way of paying it forward and making someone’s day!

May 27, 2014, 11:53 am

OH I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS.
    I try and strive and hope to be this daily too.

May 27, 2014, 12:11 pm

Positive breeds positive! I always say nice things to strangers, every single day.

May 27, 2014, 12:23 pm

I love this idea! As a teacher, I have to be very conscious about the energy I put out into the world. I’ve learned that it’s important to have a balance between being REAL (speak up and be authentic when something is troubling you – maybe they can relate or it can lead to a good convo) and putting on your happy face and spreading good vibes. Both can help make someone’s day!

May 27, 2014, 12:41 pm

soooo need this! and always a great kick in the butt positive reminder!!

May 27, 2014, 4:01 pm

I love this so much. I am honestly so bad about thinking to do just random little acts of happiness.

May 27, 2014, 4:12 pm

I always try and do good deeds for others! I just really love helping others 🙂

May 27, 2014, 6:43 pm

Great advice! Thanks for the post. One of my favorites is telling strangers something nice – somehow it seems extra cool when a stranger says “hey – I like those earrings” or “your hair is so pretty.”

May 29, 2014, 3:15 pm

I LOVE this! I’d love to see what you do each day on Twitter so I can steal your ideas, lol! 🙂