Training Tip of the Week: Keep those Knees back!

Oh haven’t we all heard the Lil Jon tune that chimes “bend over make your knees touch your elbows!” ???

6897

No? LOL!

Well, let’s talk about how to KEEP YOUR KNEES BEHIND YOUR TOES when working out and try not to practice our dance moves for fear of injury 😉

I spoke about KNEE PLACEMENT to my Insanity Test Group and wanted to share some of what I discussed with them in regards to Form and Technique:

SPEEDING UP through any workout means NOTHING if you are hurting yourself and not watching your form. The goal is for you to take the pressure OFF of your knees and put that into your quads and hammies and glutes – OH MY!

Be sure to work your LEGS and not increase the probability of injury in the knees.

Also, STRETCH! Pigeon is a favorite of my PiYo class and helps alleviate strain on the IT band and knee area 😉

Do you ensure while you’re working out that you’re focused on FORM over SPEED?

What ways do you use to check your form? (feedback from an instructor, mirrors, etc.)

January 12, 2015, 7:30 am

I’ve been so busy getting functional fitness – moving boxes etc. – I really forgot the importance of checking my form.

Carla recently posted…Gilmore Girls reinforced my mothering.My Profile

January 12, 2015, 8:08 am

Oh yes! I always think about my knees when I’m doing squats and lunges!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #105!My Profile

January 12, 2015, 2:45 pm

When teaching yoga this is one of the biggest issues with utkatasana/awkward chair pose. I always feel like I yell (lovingly) at my students “look down, can you see your toes? No seriously, look down, can you see your toes?” 9/10 they can’t! 😉
    Lora recently posted…Yoga for GriefMy Profile

January 12, 2015, 5:48 pm

Great tip and love the little elmo guy! 😉

January 13, 2015, 1:48 pm

totally agree! it’s all about knee placement. so crucial for injury prevention too!

January 19, 2015, 12:00 am

[…] Starting A Budget via Our Freaking Budget 10 Tips For Pleasing Picky Eaters via Real Mom Nutrition Keep Those Knees Back via Katrina […]

January 31, 2015, 7:54 am