Training Tip of the Week: What to Wear?

In true fashion for someone going into the Fitness world full-time, SPANDEX has been my friend…I am pretty sure I’m on an over 2 week streak … and there’s no complaints here! What to wear every day can be fun mixing up casual wear with gear that can go from the workout room to the grocery store…

When it comes to WORKING OUT – HOW TO WE MIX IN FUNCTIONAL WEAR with FASHIONABLE WEAR?

I know you’ve been like me, browsing in the store or online and spotting super cute workout gear – the colors, new patterns and prints – it’s all very impressive how we’ve gone from sweats to leggings of all colors.

To keep our gear FUNCTIONAL, I always try to keep a few things in mind so that I don’t feel like I’m focused more on looking cute versus leaving room for OOPSIES to happen –

Tops: This would all depend on WHAT you’re doing and your shape and stature. I am always one to say “get the top (bottom, etc.) that best fits your workout of choice. Keep in mind how much you’ll sweat and move. I always usually wear a tank top to workout and to teach. I get SUPER sweaty hot when I teach, especially when I workout with or teach Insanity, so I plan on that increase in body temperature. If it’s cool out, be sure to dress for the weather, and layer when needed. DRY – WICKING material will be your friend, says the girl who ran her first 5k in a cotton T shirt.

Sports Bras: I LOVE to feel SUPER supported with my bra choices. I’m not a heavily endowed girl, but don’t want any slip ups with jumping around. When I do PiYo, there’s a little more ‘wiggle room’ haha. The bra in the above photo shows how I like the back to be – racerback or criss-cross for added support. Our ‘girls’ tend to move so many inches in many direction when we’re working out, so keep that in mind! 😉

Bottoms: I am a big fan of leggings (spandex, dry-fit) for all sports and workouts. They keep my legs in check and don’t show any goodies on accident. If I’m running and it’s hotter out I may do shorts, but I have always liked shorts that don’t ‘rise.’ Looser bottoms are awesome for dance classes like Zumba or Hip Hop Hustle. Whether they’re tight or loose, you want to have enough room to move and be able to squat if needed etc.

Footwear: I wrote a post HERE about footwear when it comes to cross training instead of running. We can cause injuries or discomfort not using the right shoe for the right workout, so keep that in mind before your next workout. As I said in the post, stability and cushion are important to keep in mind for running along with a few other traits with running footwear. When it comes to cross training or even studio dance classes, movement is created with different sole  options. If you have pain in your foot at any point during a workout, you want to check the shoe type, fit, and support.

BOTTOM LINE – Dry-wicking material is your friend, think about the workout you’ll be doing before picking your outfit, have support when needed, and keep your feet safe!

What are your staple pieces of workout clothing and why?
What things do you keep in mind when buying new pieces to add to your fashionably sweaty collection?

January 19, 2015, 8:37 am

I prefer shorts . . . but then after running, some of my gym moves are a little awkward – lol
    Jennifer F recently posted…Tuna Avocado Toast with Tangy Lemon Crema #BeeHealthyMy Profile

January 19, 2015, 12:17 pm

haha you’ve got the legs for them girl!

January 19, 2015, 9:14 am

Fantastic post – I love workout clothes, I would live in them if I could haha.

**My staple workout pieces would be my moving comfort sports bra, pro compression socks (for running), and my under armor shorts.

**Things I keep in mind – Chaffing lol I try to but clothes that do not move, ride up, cause skin rubbing, etc.

January 19, 2015, 12:17 pm

Chaffing is never bueno!

January 19, 2015, 9:25 am

Girl you know I love my running skirts! 😉 I seriously have more running clothes than regular clothes lol!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #106!My Profile

January 19, 2015, 9:36 am

Looking gorgeous girl!!!
    Krysten recently posted…His and Hers Medal RackMy Profile

January 19, 2015, 12:17 pm

AW thanks pretty lady!

January 19, 2015, 11:38 am

I love workout clothes-I’m more a capri and tank top girl (when it’s not winter up here in MD!) You look great!
    Lauren recently posted…iHerb.com Review & $50 GiveawayMy Profile

January 19, 2015, 12:17 pm

Thanks mama you too – the perks of living in Florida is tank tops all year round 😉

January 19, 2015, 11:53 am

The baggier, less form-fitting tanks are in right now and are SUPER cute! But I fin that I have to constantly tuck them in when I am doing burpees, mountain climbers or other cardio – otherwise, my shirt is up around my neck and nobody wants to see that! Great post!
    Megan @ Fiterature recently posted…Me Likey Monday 1/19/15My Profile

January 19, 2015, 1:04 pm

My favorite outfit is a tech tank and Spandex shorts. I’m not a fan of loose fitting clothing. I like to feel secured when running! 🙂
    Jamie recently posted…Motivate Me! Monday: Rory BosioMy Profile

January 19, 2015, 10:49 pm

Love my Lululemon gear. I have a bunch of tanks and tees that are super comfy. I’ll wear them to workout or for a day at the parks with the family. They’re super stylish and cool. And leggings are the most comfy to me to wear for anything.
    Haley @ Running with Diapers recently posted…Sarasota Half Marathon RedemptionMy Profile

January 20, 2015, 9:09 am

Love this! You should add this post to my Fit & Fashionable Friday Link Up this coming Friday :). http://fitfulfocus.com/fit-fashionable-friday-link/
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…ClassPass Review + NYC Fitness Boutiques to Love & LoatheMy Profile

January 20, 2015, 9:14 am

I wear spandex/yoga pants on the daily… Does that mean I am just training for LIFE every day? 😉
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Middle Earth DOES Exist!My Profile

January 20, 2015, 1:07 pm

I pretty much live in workout clothes. My must-haves are great yoga pants, running shorts and most importantly a good, cute sports bra.
    Jamie King recently posted…Butter beans & kale saladMy Profile