Why take a Rest Day?

For this week’s Training Tip, I thought I’d dig into the one day a week some of us DO and some of us DON’T look forward to the most..

THE REST DAY.

I, for one, can sometimes be the worst at this. Hey, I’m aware of the problem. LOL.

Our bodies need to rest just as much as they need to get up and get moving. Yet, many of us don’t take that time to completely recover because we feel when we’re IN MOTION is when our bodies react to what we need them to do! Rest day is part of that process!

When we workout we are tearing apart and breaking down our muscle fibers:

It may sound intense, but it’s true! When we’re lifting or jumping or running we’re essentially challenging our muscle fibersΒ to meet the demands of the workouts we’re doing. Our bodies DO adapt because they are SMART, but that’s why it’s so important to ease up on their usage and give them a day to RECOVER.

Recovery is part of the process for our progress:

When we rest, and we also continue our proper nutrition, we are allowing our muscles to repair and rejuvenate themselves. Just as it’s important to drink water to hydrate our muscles, they need time to take in what we take in – they also need time to replace glycogen in the fibers so that they can be used again at their full potential. We are so used to working out that we don’t realize that’s only half of the battle!

Lesson Learned: A rest day is NEEDED!

I know, for me, it’s tough to sit still and I am the type of person who likes to stay busy ALL of the time. Yet, I’m also the type that when I do go GO GO all of the time, I crash and burn. I have to proactively PLAN a Rest Day for a Movie or time with hubby low key so that I can get the value out of it and prevent BURN OUT. I also have to prevent injury that could keep me from doing what I love to do most!

Are you one who rests easily or not so easily?

What do you do on Rest Days?

February 2, 2015, 7:45 am

Rest is so important! I took a rest day on Friday and it was glooorious. And it helped me rock my Saturday workout. πŸ™‚ Some weeks I have to force myself to take one, and other weeks, it’s like…oh yeah, it’s on!
    Ruthie@She’sWickedHealthy recently posted…Weekly Progress Report Plus “To Thine Own Self Be True”My Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:07 pm

I need another one please and thank you!

February 2, 2015, 8:32 am

ahh the older I GET the more I REST and honestly look better and feel far better.
    Carla recently posted…My four step process to becoming a lark.My Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:06 pm

Right on! I love being able to rest more now that I’m home!

February 2, 2015, 8:59 am

Rest is so important! I often feel guilty when I take more rest days that initially planned, but when our bodies are screaming for extra rest that’s when it needs it most.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 11My Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:06 pm

Amen sister friend!

February 2, 2015, 9:06 am

Now that I’m run streaking I don’t have rest days. But the one milers I do are supposed to be like my rest days. I don’t run as hard or push myself on those days. I definitely believe rest days are important!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #108!My Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:05 pm

you know how to alternate those easy days for sure girlie – after the streak you can relax!

February 2, 2015, 3:47 pm

I look forward to rest days! And by “rest” I mean a rest from running or working out. As a mom of two little ones, rest days don’t ever feel like rest days so I’ll take what I can get! πŸ™‚
    Alexandria @ Al2getherfit recently posted…Highlights of Superbowl XLIXMy Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:05 pm

yea we need to recoup to be the super women that we are!

February 2, 2015, 7:39 pm

Rest days are definitely important. I sometimes forget that my body needs to recoup!
    Tracy recently posted…Grape Jelly Meatballs RecipeMy Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:04 pm

Right? That’s when our muscles grow!

February 2, 2015, 10:14 pm

I love REST Days! Although…maybe a little too much lately hahaha. Rest days have never been a problem for me!
    Krysten recently posted…February Fitness GoalsMy Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:04 pm

haha I need one good one for sleeping!

February 3, 2015, 8:11 am

when i was training hard, i usually walked my on my rest days πŸ™‚ now – “real” workouts are few and far between so rest days are a bit different haha
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Vanilla Blueberry Parfait and #28daysofKIND ChallengeMy Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:04 pm

haha that’s usually how we learn right?

February 3, 2015, 8:45 am

I rest. πŸ™‚ I stay moving because I am a personal training. I might also do light, restorative yoga.
    Pamela Hernandez recently posted…Oscar Night Workout PlaylistMy Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:03 pm

Yes I was too and now with me teaching multiple times in a day I have to make myself sit still to recover my lil muscles πŸ˜‰

February 3, 2015, 8:52 am

A rest is so important! Great tips! Pinned and shared! πŸ™‚
    Run DMT recently posted…Heart Health: Pinning and Planning Our Dinner Menu – Week of February 1My Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:03 pm

Thanks mama appreciate the love!

February 3, 2015, 7:58 pm

Confession = Rest days are my favorite part of the process, I heart naps.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…Running is ToughMy Profile

February 3, 2015, 8:01 pm

I need to get better about naps!

February 3, 2015, 8:23 pm

Rest days are SO important! Like I always say…rest is coming for you if you don’t take it! (Trust me!)
    Lora recently posted…Vrksasana: Tree Pose for BalanceMy Profile

February 3, 2015, 10:23 pm

I took an unplanned rest day this past Sunday and it was glorious! I usually workout 6 days a week but it wears on my body sometimes and I believe it is important to listen, so that is just what I did πŸ˜‰
    Annmarie recently posted…Off to a Running Start in 2015My Profile

February 4, 2015, 12:18 am

Ha! rest days?! WHAT are those???? I do not take them, however… In a few weeks, I am going to HAVE TO!!! :-/ You know why!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Britney Spears is Drenched!My Profile

February 4, 2015, 9:11 pm

I just made myself take a rest day yesterday! I don’t even know when the last rest day was before that, so I needed it – and to read your blog!