Have you ever wondered how to connect with others via social media in a genuine way that illustrates you as a person within an online world? Here’s 5 STEPS to shifting your posting style so that you are able to relate to your peeps!
1. Paint “A Day in the Life”
Stories and strategic posts help us to avoid the newsfeed ‘flood’ of random posts. The goal is for us to share a “Day in the Life” no matter what we do so that we are connected to others of the same niche. With the addition of Stories to Instagram and Facebook following suit after Snapchat, they help us show our life within a 24 hour time frame so that our profiles are more of an overview of lives. Stories are also a way to give our audience more of a reason to ‘subscribe’ to our channels: You’re opening up your life to allow someone to be a ‘fly on the wall.’
2. It’s time to Brainstorm!
When you focus on your niche and what you relate to most each day, you can relate to those who are your ‘target audience’ that much more authentically!
- Brainstorm with your top 3 – 4 topics that speak loudest to you (no matter your profession or reason for being on social media) and who you are as an influencer – WHAT LIGHTS YOUR SOUL ON FIRE EACH DAY?
- This will help you stay FOCUSED on what to SHARE, sprinkling in the ‘other stuff’ in between
Why the bubbles?
- Squirrel! They keep us focused
- We narrow our niche enough to reach those who are our unique audience
- Our unique audience is the group of people who we will connect with the best
- You can deviate from them, but it’s okay to sprinkle that in
3. Who’s your audience?
Now we want to take some time to think about WHO are are speaking to. This part should be easy! Who are YOU?
- Write down those 3-4 areas that made up your bubble graph for brainstorming and write up a description of yourself in third person.
- For example, I’m a mom to a toddler-to-be who enjoys time with her family exploring life! I am into the 80/20 lifestyle as a personal trainer and continue to use my fitness journey to inspire others to do it with me!
THAT description is most likely close to the person who will be following my journey. So, when I post I am speaking TO that person.
Make sense so far?
4. 2017 User trends + HOW to engage:
- Ranked in order of # of USERS, here are the channels most decide to use to share their story:
- You can us whichever platform that best suits your audience & focus there! Don’t do too much so that you become overwhelmed.
5. Make it a little EXTRA:
- Stickers [all 3 platforms] and Geo Filters [Snapchat]
- Text and Stickers for explanation
- Do a little EXTRA to show your personality and style: use fonts, colors, words, graphics that are uniquely you
- Just try not to go to CRAZYTOWN .. Unless that’s your gig!
- ALSO remember you can use the same tips on your personal pages and profiles with what you share, not just on your Stories
NOW, Go forth and share your story!
This is just a blueprint to get started or rethink your strategy online! If you are someone who wants to work to build their audience on social media whether you’re a blogger, fitness professional, nutritionist, whatever – I’m also conducting one-on-one training to expand your audience and show you how to find your niche and connect!
Email me at KATRINAELLEP (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COME to set one up!
In what ways have you used social media to stay connected and share your journey?
What other questions do you have about sharing and connecting on social media and finding your ‘voice?’