Yes, I’ve joined the Peloton Community. I never thought I would see the day, but it came and here I’ll share with you how it all happened!
You all know what a big fan of workout DVDs and at-home workouts I’ve always been. There’s nothing quite like the convenience of a workout being done BEFORE the little nugget wakes up and to save time having to drive somewhere else to get it in. I know all too well how true that is still in this season of life as Ki is mobile and taking over the house!
I just turned 37. I feel it. I know I’m not ‘old’ my any means, so pump the brakes a second. I just know that my body is DIFFERENT. It’s birthed a baby, has been through its fair share of high impact workouts, and I have to respect that. While working at the local country club, I happened to see we’d acquired 2 new Peloton bikes for members to use. Did I sneak onto them to ‘try them out before the members did to be sure they knew how to use them?” You betcha!
After 4 rides I knew I had to have one! I wasn’t always the biggest fan of cycling workouts to tell you the truth. I always felt that they were slow moving and didn’t match that high intensity feel I love in my workouts. Yet, I knew they were gentler on my joints and that if I embraced cycling it would help me as a crazy HIIT lover and a runner.
Did I finally just find my happy medium??
We got our very own Peloton bike in November of 2017. It fit snug in the corner of our living room where we had many of K’s toys that needed to be passed on to other babies we knew. Sorry kid, mama’s got to make room for HER new toy!
What were the differences with the bike than other cycling classes? Is there room in this post to list them all?
- Amazing On-Demand or Live rides with some of the best instructors in NYC. I know they say this in all of the advertising, but they really do mean it! Coming from a previous master trainer and instructor herself, you know I’m telling you the truth! From Robin to Ally, Cody to Alex, you can choose from 12 instructors who know how to make you work! Each bring their own flavor to the mix and give you variety that’s needed for at-home workouts. Seeing a new face, hearing new motivation each day, it makes a difference!
- 1000’s of workouts on Demand to choose from. There’s no way to get bored or not find a workout you want to do from a 10 minute warmup to a 5 minute stretch to a 20 minute climb, to a 45 minute metrics ride (I’ll go into the types in just a second.) Possibilities = endless.
- The ability to make a workout schedule around cycling rides. Yes, I ride the bike every day that I can – unless I’m out of town [crying as I miss my bike.] I vary my workouts like the screenshot below so that I don’t push hard for a PR every single day and also so that I get some low impact love in there along with endurance work. Then, I create my crosstraining workouts that include some cardio intervals for functional work. I always end up getting in 20+ minutes of cardio in a day and most of it is interval work which helps me get in that fat burn! The different workout serve different functions in our workout plan; you can check out the guide to ride types HERE.
4. The touchscreen/bike/controls help individualize each ride. I can go anywhere from 0-75 resistance on the bike with the bike going all the way up to 100. The same goes with the cadence or speed on the bike. The touchscreen is big and easy to see with ways to look at your graphs and results to monitor performance. I haven’t ridden a bike this fine-tuned before. There’s so much room for improvement; you won’t get ‘accustomed’ to the bike, it gets accustomed to your improvements!
5. The COMMUNITY is what it’s about. I joined the Official Peloton Rider Page as soon as we got the bike in. I saw so much support and love from all of the at-home riders and felt comfortable sharing in that page just as I do on my social media and blog. What I love is that the instructors chime in and support, also having their own individualized group pages. Users lift each other up on their rides, improvements, and also life events. No one is out to sell anyone anything or have any other angle other than to love on a fellow rider who they know is giving their best!
Everyone in the Peloton community quickly learns that you can earn your Century ride shirt once you hit 100 rides; an accomplishment that you can’t buy. (Unless you want to pay 1,000,000.00 on their website without the proof of riding 100 rides!) Moms unite to talk about their rides while looking at their baby monitor hoping their little one stays asleep for their nap. Instructors issue challenges for rides and workouts off of the bike to keep their riders engaged and pushing to keep getting stronger.
It’s refreshing to find a community that’s just as crazy as I am to want harder workouts to keep raising the bar. At the same time, though, I’ve increased my leg strength and have been able to keep my joints safe without too much jumping and impact work in my workouts. I’ve been able to keep my promise to Tayler to run or walk a mile a day; he’s run with me 90% of the days since November 1, 2017.
I’ve had friends join the Peloton community and we even get to ride together on live rides or check in to do the same On Demand rides to compare notes and rave about the fun playlists!
I’m in a really happy place and feel stronger than I did pre-baby, ya’ll!
** This is a Disclaimer that my post is NOT a sponsored Peloton post. Nope, not at all. This is my 100% honest review of my experience so far with my Millennium Peloton and how it’s progressed my fitness journey to where I am today! How about them apples?!
Do you have a Peloton? I’m FittyKat on there, find me and follow me!
Thinking of getting a Peloton bike or tread? I’m happy to share my $100 off accessories code with you, just hit me up!